Monday, September 6, 2010

To Wally Gates

I did not know Wally Gates. His time spent in the local New Haven music scene (80s / 90s) fell mainly between my stints (70s / 00s). It's a shame, because after attending the Memorial show at Cafe` 9 this past Saturday (9-4-10) I came away knowing that Wally & I would have most likely enjoyed each others music perspective.

Dean Falcone put together an amazing musical tribute to his childhood friend. With a house band consisting of Dean (guitar), Ed Valauskas (bass), Jim Balga (drums), and a keyboardist whose name I do not know (my apologies), we were treated to many, many local artists climbing onto the Musicians Living Room stage and thrilling us with favorite songs of Wally's. Too many to list and name, but with the crowd spilling out and packing the sidewalk as much as the club, to realize that approx 2/3 of them were local New Haven musicians, and almost 2/3 of them were playing/singing at one point or another, one could only be taken back by the outpouring of love and respect.

A few of my personal favorites were Scott McDonald singing and playing acoustic guitar for The Waterboys Fisherman's Blues, Bret Logan doing a spot on Morrissey, and The Mocking Birds performing I've Got A Shirt (Wally Gates ver.).

The Mocking Birds - I've Got A Shirt (Wally Gates ver.)
Cafe` 9 ~ 9-4-10

There were tons more, and if you were there, I'd love to hear about your highlights of the evening. And if you weren't there, this is going to be one of those nights that will be talked about and shared for many a year to come. I have no doubt the audience numbers may just triple that of those that were there. Because like so many shows that everyone would be proud to say they were in attendance for, this is another that will be added to the list. Either way, many Thanks to Dean Falcone and the masses of everyone involved, especially you Wally. God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment