Tuesday, August 31, 2010

HAPPY 12th BIRTHDAY INDEPENDISC ~ "Song of the Week"

HAPPY 12th BIRTHDAY INDEPENDISC! "Song of the Week" for 09-01-10 is: My Birthday by: The Cucumbers. Listen to it now: http://www.independisc.com/sotw/sotw007.m3u

On Sept. 1st 1998, IndepenDisc was born.
 
The Manifesto
"I tell ya Bob, I'm sick of what's on the radio, it's all the same. I love music so much, but I'm tired of what the radio has to offer. I just don't know what to do."

"The next time you're in the record store buy something you never heard before."

"But, what if I don't like it?"

"But, What if you do?"
It's hard to believe that conversation took place in 1977, yet it is still relevant today.

I regard music in the highest order, along side that of love. Without music there is no life. Everyone needs music in order to survive. Try to imagine a day with no music, that includes the singing of the birds, the idle of car engines, the whispering of the breeze, the murmur of far off conversations, the rhythm of your own breathing. All those sounds are in themselves music. Music is all-encompassing of sound. Sound equals music, music equals life.

What of those who can not hear sound? It is known that the deaf (I never claimed to be Politically Correct) can experience sound/music on higher sensual levels than most, thus at times sharing with us, sometimes exceeding, the pleasures we know and derive from it.

Music, like love (therefore the love of music/the music of love) can be the highest emotional level that we achieve. It presents itself in so many forms over the course of a lifetime, how can we not reach out and attempt to hold, feel, live and love it in as many of it's personifications as we can within the course of our own lifetime? There is no limit on how much music/love we can possess, but life tends to limit us to how much time we have to experience/enjoy it.

Since founding IndepenDisc in Sept. of '98 I have once again rediscovered the love of music by breaking away from the established criteria set forth upon us by preprogrammed (to sell advertising) radio. I did it in '77 when I blindly purchased "My Aim Is True" by Elvis Costello. I did it in '91 with "Gish" by Smashing Pumpkins (pre "The") and again in '97 with "Burner" a compilation disc by Home Office Records.

I walked into the record store and bought something I never heard before. It didn't always work, there were Artists/Albums that I didn't like (not to say there was anything wrong with them, if anything they helped to expand my knowledge just as much as the ones I did like), but the Artists/Albums I did like led me to others, that in turn led to changes in my life that still bring smiles to my face.

My passion and love of life through music, is sustained by the rediscovery and rebirth of ideals which are fed by the uncovering of obscure musical gems delivered to my ears by an Artist(s) who knows not of corporate dollars to produce, but only to produce through that of the love of music, the love of life.

These feelings, these emotions that can be brought forth through an Artists musical vision, I have always striven to share with those around me. With the birth of the internet I have been able to realize this calling all the more so, to share this music/love/life with anyone who is willing to listen, with anyone who is willing to walk into the record store and buy something they've never heard before. I created IndepenDisc for anyone/everyone for this reason.

IndepenDisc is the record store that stocks only the music you have never heard before.

"But, what if I don't like it?"

"But, What if you do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment